Month One of cleaning is finished and our office/craft room is very clean and organized! I love that feeling. We started off the cleaning by renting a steam cleaner and cleaning all the carpets in the house. That was a lot more work than I thought! (Though the hubby did most of it…, thanks, babe!). So in awe, and disgusted, by how dirty the water was coming up. Ugh. So gross. But I know that unless you steam clean every day, they’re just going to get like that. Nice knowing they’re a bit cleaner, for now.
Another big project I tackled in this room was the closet. When we moved in I didn’t really do much to it, just tried to bring simple organization. But it has bothered me ever since then and I took this opportunity to really do something. I was limited in time and budget, so it’s not perfect, but definitely better!
Wow! Looking back at the Before pictures makes me cringe. Can’t believe I let it get that bad. All I purchased to organize things were those two black drawer containers and the two black baskets on the top shelf. One of our biggest issues was our wrapping paper and gift bags. That whole gifting area had gotten completely out of control. So I used one of my new black things to put gift bags, ribbon, tissue paper, and boxes in. Then my wonderful hubby built me a holder for the wrapping paper rolls.
So much better!! (Also, I’ve tried and tried to get the pictures bigger, but they want to stay small. No idea what’s wrong there.)
Here is the full list of everything I cleaned and cleaned out/organized. You obviously have to tailor it for your specific room needs, but it’s what I did:
- Steam cleaned the floor
- Dusted the fan (did this before cleaning the floor…)
- Cleaned the windows, inside and out
- Dusted the blinds (I used a wet cloth and that worked really well)
- Dusted the closet shelves
- Dusted all the shelves/desk/etc.
- Cleaned the door knobs (with disinfectant wipes. Probably need to get in the habit of doing that more often!)
- Cleaned the baseboards and trim (I used dryer sheets because that’s a “trick” I’ve seen in Pinterest. Not sure it it’s the best way or not, but it works for me!)
- Cleaned the walls (I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser- my first time to use those and I am in love! Best product ever.)
- Touched up the baseboards and trim.
- Touched up the walls.
- Cleaned/touched up the doors. (Again, Magic Eraser)
- Disinfected the light switch (So gross. Definitely want to do that more often.)
- Cleaned and touched up the window sill (Oliver sits and lays his head on that allll day, so it had gotten pretty gross)
- Wiped off/dusted frames
- Caught up on our shredding (we let that get way out of control)
- Cleaned out/organized the closet
- Cleaned out/organized the desk
- Cleaned out/organized the filing cabinet
- Cleaned out/organized the bookshelf and craft shelf
- Cleared off/updated my bulletin board
- Updated the decor
The room for September is the Living Room! Already been working on it some. Will update on that in a month!